Friday, May 25, 2012

Red Dragon


This movie was awesome. This 2002 thriller is interesting because it is a prequel to The Silence of the Lambs, but it is also a remake of the movie Manhunter. It is an amazing film, but not for the light of heart. Like The Silence of the Lambs, some people consider this movie thriller/horror. The Silence of the Lambs has more horror elements to it than Red Dragon in my opinion, but I felt Red Dragon was much more suspenseful. For the rest of the review, I will refer to Red Dragon as Dragon, and I will refer to The Silence of the Lambs as Silence.

            This film stars Edward Norton as the main protagonist, Will Graham, an ex F.B.I. agent. After catching Dr. Hannibal Lecter who is again played by Anthony Hopkins, Will retires from the F.B.I. and works as a boat repairmen. A few years later he is contacted by another man in the F.B.I. named Jack Crawford played by Harvey Keitel. Jack tells Will that there is a new killer nicknamed the Tooth Fairy and that they need Will back for this one assignment. The rest of the film concentrates on Will and Jack trying to find the Tooth Fairy, and on the actual killer and his blind girlfriend.

            Now onto things I really liked about this film. First off, the acting was phenomenal. With three huge stars in major role`s, excellence was expected, and it was given. Ralph Fiennes played the Tooth Fairy, and he was spectacular as well. Fiennes is a big actor, but not nearly as well known as the other three leads. Norton`s character was reluctant to go back to the dangerous life style of working for the F.B.I.. I stated earlier that I think this film was extremely suspenseful. There were moments where I was in a state of panic from the suspense. There is a scene where Lecter tells the Tooth Fairy where Will`s family lives, and then we see their house and we don`t know if the Tooth Fairy is there or not. Everything was great about this movie; I especially liked how the ending led right into the beginning of Silence of the Lambs, literally. All in all, this movie was great, one of the bests I`ve seen in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment