Monday, June 11, 2012

Interview with the Vampire


This movie was released in 1994, and stars Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Kirsten Dunst, Antonio Banderas, and Christian Slater. This was an awesome movie. I think one of the reasons I liked it as much as I did is because I finished the book two days before I watched the film. The book was written by Anne Rice in 1976 and is the first book in the quite large Vampire Chronicles.

This film technically takes place in the early 1990`s roughly, although the story being told takes place through various centuries starting in the year 1791. This film is about a reporter called Daniel interviewing a vampire. That’s the recent day part of the movie. The rest is a flashback of Louis` life. Louis is the vampire being interviewed. Without giving away too much of the story, basically it tells us how Louis was transformed by a seductive, yet evil vampire named Lestat. The two of them find and transform a child named Claudia. The rest of the story is more or less Louis and Claudia searching Europe for other vampires and ending up in Paris.

There is a lot of stuff going on in this movie and I don`t want to spoil a lot of it, so that’s all I will say about the plot. This was really interesting to watch because I had just finished the book two days prior to watching this, so I could really make comparisons. I loved the book, it was so imaginative, seductive in tone, and amazingly well written. So I had really high hopes going into this movie, especially with such an amazing cast. They definitely changed some things from the book, but it in no way took away from the film. This is quite a dark story with certain aspects that can be disturbing to some people. The character of Claudia is very interesting because she was transformed as a child therefore she will always have the body of a child. This really angers her and we first see this inner anger in a scene where Claudia see`s a grown woman naked and she wants to be like her. There are some great effects as well, such as near the ending when Louis is on a rampage with other vampire`s. Overall, great acting, great writing, great visuals, great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment