Saturday, December 31, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany`s

I`m just going to say this right away, I did not like Breakfast at Tiffany`s. This is one of Audrey Hepburn`s most famous films, and she was good in it. She is acknowledged as one of the greatest female actress`s of the 20th century. Breakfast at Tiffany`s was made in 1961 and won two Oscars, Best Original Song for Moon River, and it also won Best Score. Hepburn was nominated for Best Actress for this film but lost out to Sophia Loren for Two Women.

This film is about Holly Golightly, played by Hepburn, and Paul Varjak, played by George Peppard, and their relationship. Holly is a very social, elegant woman living in New York, and Paul is a struggling writer who moves into the same apartment building as Holly. There is a sub plot that is introduced right away involving Holly going to visit a mob boss in prison and pass on messages to his lawyer. Holly and Paul soon become friends, and Paul finds out that Holly is actually a southern girl named Lula Mae, but she moved to New York and changed, and that her brother is coming out of the military soon, her ex husband comes to her in New York to bring her back but she refuses. Eventually Holly and Paul start getting serious but she tries to get money by marrying the richest man she can find. That’s basically the plot.

Again: I didn`t like this film. But there were certain things I really hated. The first and probably the biggest problem I had with this movie was Mickey Rooney. Mickey Rooney is a very famous actor and is still living in his early 90`s now. In this film he plays a stereotypical Asian man even though he is white, and it’s awful. He has makeup on to make him look Asian, and he portrays a very annoying character. Another thing I didn`t like was the character of Paul, in his opinion, if you love a woman, she is yours. He drags on about this point until he comes off as sexist; he basically calls women property, as long as its love. I also didn`t like Holly. She was whiny, when she had a problem she would get drunk and do something stupid, I was annoyed by watching her character get drunk and complain.

This was my first look into Audrey Hepburn, and she was pretty good, it was her character I didn`t like. The acting was all round pretty good, except for Mickey Rooney, casting him as that character was dumb. The writing was ok, but I didn`t like the characters. To me, it was technically a good film, but I just really didn`t like it.

This was a relatively short pot, but I didn`t have much to say on this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment