Monday, December 12, 2011

Child`s Play

Childs Play was actually, really good. I was sort of surprised with it. I thought it would be slightly cheesy, which I like, but I just wasn`t expecting a good movie. Childs Play is a 1988 horror film, which eventually evolved into probably one of the most famous horror franchises ever. It spawned four sequels, Childs Play 2, Childs Play 3, Bride of Chucky, and Seed of Chucky. These were horror movies until Bride, then they became horror/comedy, which I love, but from what I hear, the last two films are not very good. The character of Chucky is very famous now, having dolls made after him, quite ironically. As I said, the movies and Chucky himself become more comedic over time, and Chucky eventually starts spewing one liners, some of which are actually very funny, my favorite being “Don`t fuck with the Chuck”. But in the first movie, he is not comedic; he is evil and determined to live.

So basically this movie is about a serial killer, named Charles Lee Ray. He is shot by a police officer, Mike Norris, during a chase. Charles hides in a toy store and just before he dies, he transfers his soul into a doll named Chucky. Later, a child named Andy wants a Chucky doll for his birthday, and he gets one. He gets a special one. He befriends Chucky, and starts talking to Chucky, and Chucky talks back. Anyway, eventually Chucky starts killing, and finds out how to get back to human form, he needs to transfer his soul into Andy. The thing is, no one believes Andy. He is eventually put into a psychiatric ward, but escapes when he sees Chucky coming for him.

That’s all I`m going to say about the plot, now onto what I really liked and disliked.
This film was really good in the sense that you were really into it, this was because it played on the age old idea that adults can`t see what children see. Except in this, the child is right. Andy is not imagining that Chucky is talking and moving, but everyone is getting mad at him for making up stories, and eventually he starts pleading Chucky to talk in front of other people, and Chucky, being the cruel person he is, doesn`t. Also, we don`t hear him talk in his real voice until over three quarters way through the film, nor do we actually see him clearly move, but we know he is, yet it is still tense. I was waiting for him to talk or to move, in the background, but he doesn`t. This created a very tense atmosphere every time Chucky was on the screen. When it came to acting, I had mixed feelings. The main character, Andy, was at first very good, he portrayed a very excited young boy, but as the movie went on, I feel like his performance went down and down. The rest of the cast were very good, I especially liked Chris Sarandon, who played Mike Norris, and he was also in Fright Night, directed by the same man, Tom Holland.

All in all, this was a good movie. It was a fun way to spend an hour and a half. I`ve seen clips of most of the other films, but I don`t think any of the other films quite matched this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment