Saturday, December 10, 2011

Get Him to the Greek

When I bought this film, I was expecting a pretty standard comedy. What I got was a surprisingly great, smart, very funny movie.
It stars Jonah Hill and Russell Brand, I like both actors very much, especially Jonah Hill. It is basically about Aaron (Jonah Hill), who works for a musical scout company, and they are looking for ideas. Aaron comes up with the idea to do a anniversary concert at the Greek Theatre with Aldous Snow, his favorite rock star. So Aaron has to fly to London and get Aldous to the Greek Theatre in 72 hours. Aldous, played by Brand, is very eccentric, and rock star-ish. That is the basic plot, and it only takes 15-20 minutes to set that up, the rest of the film is just what happens to them as Aaron tries to complete his goal, and it’s great.

Again, I was very shocked at how good this film was, and there are some brilliant moments. These moments range from comedy to drama. Both style`s are brilliantly portrayed. One of my favorite scene`s is when Aaron purposely spills Aldous`s heroin, and he freaks. He says that that is his medicine, and it was very powerful and quite dark, and one of the reasons I liked this scene so much was because I was shocked that something this dark would be put in this type of comedy. Now, this scene led to another very funny scene, so this film kind of balanced comedy and drama very well, without it seeming contrived.
Another thing I really liked was Aldous`s father, played by Colm Meaney, who I know as Miles O`Brian from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He was great and the relationship between him and his son, Aldous, was very well played. His father abandoned him and his mother when he was young, and at times it`s quite awkward between them, and eventually they start fighting in a Vegas hotel room, and it goes to hell. It was great!

This was the first time I`d seen Russell Brand in a movie, and he was awesome. He portrayed a struggling rock star perfectly. Of course, Jonah Hill was awesome, as always.
Again, this film was surprisingly great! I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment